Wednesday, July 8, 2009

This was a project a friend hired me to make for her sister-in-law and brother for their baby shower. It's their first baby and they are so lucky they are having TWO! A boy AND a girl!

My friend needed a card, and gift/table decoration. Her idea was for me to decorate a frame and in the frame would be a poem that she had chosen. The frame would grace the table at the shower as a table decoration and then it could be hung in the babies room. The color theme was primary colors and building blocks.

First I will start with the card. This is a 5x7 card, first I layer a piece of sweet leaf green 4x7, added about an inch of wild print paper at the bottom and used my corner rounder to make the scallop border. I then cut a piece of polka-dot vellum 9x7, creased it at 5" and layered it on top of the green paper. (It wraps clear around the card....the 5" is on the back, the 4" is on the front. The scallop border is exposed)

I then cut out two carriages from the "New Arrivals" Cricut Cart., one in pink and one in blue. I then cut out the "extra" accent pieces in a lighter shade of pink and blue and paper pieced it all together. Where the canopy hinge would be I placed a die cut flower, then a paper flower, then a sugar brad. It really makes it look real.

I finished it off with a piece of baby white wide ribbon and mounted the entire piece to a 5x7 card base. My envelopes have to decorated too, so this one needed to reflect the shower theme. I cut an umbrella out with the same Cricut Cart. I also paper pieced this with two different papers, the wild print and the baby blue. I then glued several little hearts that had been covered in prisma glitter. I also took the clear glue pen and made little dots above the umbrella and added prisma glitter, which gave the rain effect.


I wanted the frame to be very special, because it will hang in these little babies room for quite a while and I wanted it to look really nice for them. The theme again was building blocks and primary colors, so I really did my take on that. We could have used real wooden blocks, but my thing is paper and so I wanted to take on the challenge of making building blocks out of paper by hand!

I used the cricut to cut the box shapes,out of white paper, then folded and glued each little box. The numbers, letters and little colored frames around each block were also cut with the cricut out of WHITE paper. After all pieces were cut out I colored each number, letter and tiny frame with Prisma markers in Red, Blue and Green. I then used a Versamark marker to go over each letter, number and frame and set each one in clear embossing powder. After I set the embossing powder each little item was nice and thick and shiny.

I mounted the letters, numbers and frames to each little box and then set everything into the shadow box. The poem was printed out of my computer on white card stock, then mounted on green card stock with a full 1/4" around all sides, then in blue the same way. Finally I mounted that piece to the red card stock added 4 fuzzy red brads for stability and tied in 2 yellow knots with gross grain ribbon. (Yellow isn't really a primary color but it looks really good on there and adds a little color pop.)

If you have read this entire tutorial I really hope it made sense to you, my brain hurts now, I am going to go make some rehearsal dinner invitations!

j.

No comments: